Casseroles have been my boyfriend and I’s friend these past 2 weeks. They’re really easy to make and the outcome is almost always a pan full of deliciousness.
Last weekend we put soup Sunday’s on a hold & opted for a more comforting dish, like a casserole. At Thanksgiving I had this delicious broccoli casserole topped with Ritz crackers. It was heaven. I searched for a recipe similar to that but with chicken & rice. I wanted a chicken & rice casserole that reminded me of that amazing broccoli casserole with the salty Ritz crackers on top.
I found a recipe for a broccoli, rice & chicken casserole that I decided looked, one, amazing & two, possibly close to what I had at Thanksgiving. I decided to add cauliflower to the recipe because I love broccoli & cauliflower together & because why not?
It’s really quick to get together & cooks in around 45 minutes which makes it a great weeknight meal or any night really!
Chicken, Broccoli & Rice Casserole
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: 40-45 Minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- While oven is preheating, cube chicken tenderloins & place in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Chop 2 cups of broccoli & 1 cup of cauliflower into bite sized pieces & add to bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl with the exception of the crumbled ritz crackers. Mix until well combined.
- Pour ingredients into a greased 9×13 baking pan & make sure everything is evenly distributed.
- Top mixture with crumbled ritz crackers & place in the oven.
- Cook at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until rice & chicken are cooked.
- Eat immediately & enjoy!
The first time I had a similar breakfast casserole to the one I am going to post, I swear, it was life changing. I love almost everything breakfast. I say almost everything because I have a deep hatred towards bacon. I’ve been called “terrorist” before because it’s true, who hates bacon? Well I do. Something about the texture and the appearance – I just cannot do it. The smell too. Makes me want to vom.
Back to the topic at hand. This breakfast casserole is legit. There are so many different things you can do with this recipe. You could throw any sort of meat in it that you want – sausage, ham… bacon or even veggies! We decided on broccoli for our casserole & it was so yummy. Just swap out the broccoli in the recipe for whatever you’d like – spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, meat – you name it, i’m sure it would be just as delicious!
Also, this recipe is super easy to make. If you have a half hour of time you’re pretty much set. Prep is pretty quick & it only takes about 20-25 minutes to bake in the oven. Easy-peasy! You could even prepare it the night before if you’re pressed for time & bake it the next day! It’s so great. Enjoy!
Broccoli, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Bake Time: 20-25 Minutes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray & line with crescent rolls. Gently press the crescent roll pieces together so they cover the bottom evenly.
- While oven is preheating steam the broccoli so it turns bright green. You can do this over the oven or in the microwave, whatever is easiest for you! Once broccoli is steamed set aside & allow any moisture to drain from the broccoli.
- In a medium bowl add eggs & milk & beat until combined. Set aside.
- Layer the broccoli on top of the crescent roll crust as evenly as possible. Next sprinkle the cheese over the broccoli. Pour the egg mixture over the cheese & broccoli. Allow to spread out & sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Place into the preheated oven & bake for 20-25 minutes or until mixture begins to turn golden & eggs are cooked.
- Allow to cool & set slightly before serving & enjoy!